When it comes to driveways, concrete and asphalt both have their advantages. That doesn’t mean you should combine them. A concrete base is strong, but it’s not ideal for a new asphalt driveway — here’s why.
Concrete as a Base: Strengths and Challenges
While concrete is known for its stability, it also has a tendency to expand and contract with changes in temperature. If concrete is used as a base for new asphalt, these shifts can lead to fractures in the surface over time.
The Side Effects of Overlaying Asphalt on Concrete
With concrete naturally expanding and contracting in response to shifting temperatures, you may notice the following side effects in the asphalt overlay:
- Reflective cracking: The expansion joints in concrete can lead to cracks on the asphalt surface, known as reflective cracking. These cracks mar the asphalt and compromise its integrity.
- Increased maintenance: Reflective cracking calls for repairs to maintain safety and functionality. Maintenance may include crack filling, sealing and resurfacing, and those costs can add up.
- Reduced life span: With continuous motion, the deterioration of asphalt overlay may accelerate. That calls for earlier replacement of the asphalt layer, meaning more expenses for you.
- Surface leveling: The asphalt surface can also shift and lose symmetry because of the uneven movement. This shift can present a safety hazard and affect your driveway’s water drainage.
- Water infiltration: You may witness water seeping through the cracks from the concrete movement. Water infiltration may increase the level of damage on the asphalt overlay as well as the concrete base.
Is It Time to Dig out the Old Concrete?
The notion of completely removing old, weathered concrete before applying asphalt seems daunting. But it might be the wiser choice. Starting afresh ensures a robust, stable base for your new asphalt surface. Plus, it offers an opportunity to inspect what lies beneath the existing concrete surface. Laying asphalt over concrete might be economical in the short run, but investing upfront might save significant repair and maintenance costs.
The Professional Touch Matters
Our adept team provides top-notch asphalt paving services in Miami and South Florida, delivering durability and visual appeal. Our services encompass:
- Preparing a uniform base for optimal adhesion.
- Ensuring a strong bond between the asphalt and base.
- Applying paving fabrics over expansion joints to prevent cracking.
- Milling to create a smooth, level surface.
- Executing a seamless asphalt overlay with hot mix asphalt.
- Enhancing the life span and appearance through patching, filling, grinding and leveling.
To Overlay or Not to Overlay?
At The Paving Lady, we offer tailored solutions for your paving needs. Understanding the details in choosing between asphalt and concrete is crucial. If you want to ensure long-term satisfaction and durability, you can consult with us as a step toward clarity. We’re here to guide you toward the most suitable choice for your driveway. Contact us online or call us at 561-567-7182 for a free consultation!