Asphalt Paving Defects You Should Know
Asphalt is one of the most common materials used for driveways, roadways and parking lots. While asphalt paving is durable, the material still requires maintenance over time. Every property manager or owner responsible for maintaining asphalt surfaces should know about the five most common asphalt paving defects.
These defects include cracking, distortion, disintegration, skidding hazards and surface treatment distress. Although these issues often seem like small problems, they can compromise the long-term health of your pavement and cause more severe issues, such as large potholes.
This guide will walk you through the most common asphalt defects in the tropical climate of Southern Florida.
5 Types of Asphalt Defects
Asphalt is one of the quickest and most economical ways to create a smooth surface with long-lasting quality.
However, there are five primary types of pavement defects to watch for to keep your asphalt in great condition:
- Cracking: Asphalt cracks occur when the surface receives too much pressure from weight and exposure to extreme temperatures. There are many types of cracks, including fatigue cracking, edge cracking, longitudinal cracking and several more. These cracks can be caused by shrinking from drastic temperature changes or the braking motion of vehicles.
- Distortion: Asphalt distortion occurs when there is a weakness in the base layer or the asphalt mix is unstable. Examples include rutting, shoving, upheaval, patch failures and depressions.
- Disintegration: Asphalt disintegration takes place when pavement traffic causes small pieces to break apart. The two most relevant examples include raveling and potholes.
- Skidding hazards: Asphalt skidding hazards develop when water does not flow freely on the pavement or there is another lubricant like excess asphalt. Polished aggregate is a common source of this problem.
- Surface treatment distress: Asphalt distress can result when someone applies the aggregate too soon or there is an uneven application of the asphalt during the installation process.
Are you concerned that one of these issues seems to be developing on your pavement surface? Gain peace of mind and consider leaving your repairs in the hands of a contractor you can trust.
Connect With The Paving Lady Today for an Asphalt Solution
Looking for professional asphalt repair in South Florida? The Paving Lady, a company serving the area since 1985, is here to help. We offer comprehensive commercial services for asphalt repair, including asphalt patching, crack filling, milling, removal, replacement, maintenance and seal coating.
Reach out to us by phone at 561-572-2600 or contact us by filling out a quick form online.